How to check whether a checkbox is checked in jQuery?

I need to check the checked property of a checkbox and perform an action based on the checked property using jQuery.
For example, if the age checkbox is checked, then I need to show a textbox to enter age, else hide the textbox.
But the following code returns false by default:
if($('#isAgeSelected').attr('checked')) {
    $("#txtAge").show();
} else {
    $("#txtAge").hide();
}
How do I successfully query the checked property?

Answer:

This worked for me:
$get("isAgeSelected ").checked == true
Where isAgeSelected is the id of the control.
Also, @karim79's answer works fine. I am not sure what I missed at the time I tested it.
Note, this is answer uses Microsoft Ajax, not jQuery

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/901712/how-to-check-whether-a-checkbox-is-checked-in-jquery